Small Business Award
Recognizing the significant impact small businesses make at Iowa State University. Suppliers must demonstrate exemplary customer service, innovative solutions, and meaningful partnerships.
Must have been awarded an Iowa State University Purchase Order within the calendar year of the award. Must be a privately owned corporation, partnership or sole proprietorship that also meets at least one of the following criteria:
- Small Business Concern - Independently owned and operated, and meets industry size and receipt requirements for small businesses per SBA 13 CFR 121. Section 3 of the Small Business Act
- Small Disadvantaged Business - Minimum 51% owned, controlled and operated day-to-day by one or more socially disadvantaged individuals. May be Section 8(a)-certified per 13 CFR 124.1002. Small Disadvantaged Ethnicity definitions include the following categories:
- African American
- Asian-Pacific American
- Hispanic American
- Asian-Indian American
- Native American (American Indian, Eskimo, Aleut, Native Hawaiian)
- Woman-Owned Small Business – Minimum 51% owned, controlled and operated day-to-day by one or more women
- HUBZone Small Business – SBA certified; is small and is located in an historically underutilized business zone and is owned, controlled and operated at least 51% by U.S. citizens and at least 35% of employees reside in HUB zone
- Veteran-Owned Small Business – Minimum 51% owned, controlled and operated day-to-day by one or more U.S. veterans
- Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business – Minimum 51% owned by one or more service-disabled veterans (if publicly owned, minimum 51% of the stock is owned by one or more service-disabled veterans), and the management and daily business operations of which are controlled by one or more service-disabled veterans (if permanently and severely disabled, by their spouse or primary care giver)
- Certified Iowa Targeted Small Business – Must meet the following minimum requirements as specified by the Iowa Economic Development Authority:
- Located in the state of Iowa
- Operating for a profit
- Gross income of less than $4.0 million computed as an average of the preceding three fiscal years
- Majority owned, operated and actively managed by a female, individual with minority status, service-disabled veteran, or individual with a disability
- Supplier has provided a consistent and reliable point of contact.
- Supplier responds to requests and resolves issues in a timely manner.
- Supplier provides expertise in products and/or services provided.
- Supplier demonstrates the ability to innovate or problem-solve to meet the needs of Iowa State University.
Please submit a separate form for each nomination.